This delicious cake was inspired by a friend's birthday that happens to fall during our annual cleanse each summer. But tastes SO much better than #cleanseworthy! No refined sugars, gluten, dairy or eggs! And an extra bonus, during these hot summer months, no oven needed :)
LEMON CASHEW FROSTING
2 cups cashews, soaked overnight
½ cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tbsp vanilla
½ cup - 1 cup coconut oil
- Blend together cashews, lemon juice, maple syrup, vanilla, adding filtered water until nice and smooth.
- With blender running, slowing pour in coconut oil.
- Let set in fridge for 30 mins for easy spreading while you make the carrot cake layer.
CARROT CAKE LAYER
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 large carrots, peeled & grated
- 1 cup currants
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ½ cup Medjool dates
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- In the food processor, pulse the almonds, cashews, and half the coconut to a crumble. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In the large bowl, add almond meal, remaining coconut, grated carrot, currants, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and lemon zest to the nut crumble.
- In the food processor, pulse dates, sweetener and coconut oil.
- Add wet mixture to the dry mixture in the large bowl and mix together.
- Line a 20cm springform cake tin with parchment paper.
- Remove the cashew cream from the fridge and begin to layer your cake, starting with the carrot cake mix. Smooth with the back of a spoon and add a layer of cashew cream. Smooth and place back in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and add another layer. Continue until you have used all of the carrot cake and cashew cream.
- Replace in the freezer to set.
Recipe from: Food Matters.