A Valentine's Day delight! These delicious truffles don't sacrifice taste for nutrition! Gluten free, dairy free, and vegan. And with almond butter and chickpeas (the secret ingredient), you're still getting plenty of protein and fiber.
This recipe makes about 30 truffles (about the size of a melon baller).
· 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 1 tsp almond extract (for the cherry flavoring)
· 1/8 tsp baking soda
· 4 tbsp of almond butter (or any other "nut" butter you'd like to substitute)
· 2/3 cup coconut palm sugar (low in glycemic index aka won't spike your blood sugars!)
· 1 tablespoon chia seeds
· 1 cup chocolate chips (I use "Enjoy Life" brand for gluten free and dairy free reasons)
· 2 teaspoons coconut oil
1. Add all ingredients (except chocolate chips and coconut oil - which will be used for outer coating) to food processor and blend until smooth. Then form into balls and chill in the fridge.
2. Melt coconut oil and chocolate in double boiler (or be really careful not to let the pot get too hot and stir consistently otherwise the chocolate will burn). Take the balls from fridge and cover in chocolate. Return to the fridge to allow outer coat to harden.
3. ENJOY! .. just try not to eat them all yourself... they're pretty addicting :)
This recipe has been adapted from "Cookie Dough Truffle" recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie's blog.