• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 3 medium celery stalks, chopped
• 3 medium carrots, chopped
• 1/2 medium yellow onion, small dice
• 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
• 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
• 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juices
• 1 1/4 cups lentils (any color except red), soaked overnight
• juice from 1 lemon
• 1 cup parsley
• 3 cups kale, remove stems and chopped into 3" pieces
• Kosher salt
• Black pepper
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering, about 3 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the broth, tomatoes with their juices and lentils and stir to combine. Cover and bring to a simmer, about 15 minutes. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and continue simmering, covered, until the lentils and vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes more.
Taste and season with more salt or pepper as needed, then stir in the lemon juice. Add the kale and parsley and stir until wilted. If you prefer a creamier texture, purée half of the soup in a blender and add it back to the pot.
And the best part... top with chopped avocado for an extra creamy texture and delicious flavor!