There are few things that I love more than pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving!!! And I must say that I have been less than impressed with the gluten free, dairy free pies I've had in the past.
This year I've adapted a recipe I found and was delighted with how it came out! I am such a fan of the coconut pecan crust that I am hoping to create new pies just to re-use the crust :)
Ingredients for crust:
· 1 Cup Shredded Coconut
· 1 1/4 Cup Pecans + Extra for Topping
· 1 Cup Pitted Dates
· 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
· Grease pie plate or pan with coconut oil or another healthy oil.
· Use a food processor to grind all ingredients together for crust to a fine mixture.
· Scoop crust mixture from food processor and press evenly into baking dish.
· Refrigerate while making filling ingredients.
· 1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
· 3/4 Cup Cashew Butter
· 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
· 1 Tsp Cinnamon
· 1/4 Tsp Ginger
· 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup ( or honey, agave, or stevia)
· Dash of Salt
· Blend all ingredients in food processor until smooth.
· Pour into crust and make sure it is evenly spread over crust.
· Add extra pecans and cinnamon for decoration and top with coconut whip for a sweet finish!
*Recipe adapted from: Damy Health.